Thursday, March 20, 2008

Stuff I need to try

I think it's time to challenge myself with the knitting. Here is a list of things I've been thinking I need to attempt in the near future.

1. Toe-up socks. These seem like a really good idea to me - easier to try on as you go, you can use up all the yarn, adjust for fat calves in progress, etc. Pattern suggestions are welcome.

2.1. A large fair-isle project. With more than two colors.

2.2. Steeks.

3. Writing up a pattern with multiple sizes that involves set-in sleeves. I think this one is coming whether I like it or not.

4. A Shirley Paden project.

5. Gloves.

6. A bag. I'm talking more intense than the felted clutch. Possibly involving a little intarsia and felting.

7. Entrelac. Perhaps Eunny Jang's Entrelac Socks from last year's spring Interweave Knits.

8. Double Knitting, as in reversible. See here. I'm thinking this may be a good way to reinforce knits, especially when using fine yarns, but I need to learn more.

Maybe I'll make it my goal to do all these by the end of the year. (Sorry, I just realized how wishy-washy that "maybe" was. I'm committing now.)

13 comments:

Rachel Leverton said...

Way to go with your list! Hope you're able to tackle a lot of it before the end of the year!

Anonymous said...

I just started some toe-up socks, and I'm sort of making up the pattern as I go-- I'll show you what I'm doing when I visit!

Anonymous said...

I just tried the Widdershins reinforced heel pattern from Knitty.com and really liked it (though I used it on an Uptown Boot Sock from Favorite Socks. I've since discovered a modification that I'm going to try:
http://k2knits.blogspot.com/2007/03/revisiting-widdershin-heel.html#c3453793740117473765

Jan

SL said...

That (the toe-up cast-on tutorial) reminds me, I need a size 0 and 1 circular needle.

Anonymous said...

Those are good goals. My goal is just to knit an article of clothing larger than my head. I have knit wrist warmers, scarves, socks, and hats but never a shirt. I'm scared. I'll admit it. I don't want to finish the product and then find out it doesn't fit. I guess that is something I will just have to deal with.

SL said...

Hee. I can understand the apprehension about a bigger garment, especially if you aren't a process knitter. I can't show you most of the first garments I knit because they have been destroyed. But they were great learning experiences and in almost all cases, I was able to reuse the yarn. And they were the only way to get to the point where I knit things that do look good.

Unknown said...

What a great way to improve your knitting ! I've try the entrelac with "Quant", by Star Athena (knitty,winter 2007) and it's so nice that I just wanna do this for so many patterns... It's so fun to lear a new technique !!!

SL said...

Quant is a really cute project! Perhaps I should try that before I commit to two socks in fingering weight yarn.

Erica said...

as for toe up socks, the only ones I've ever started were Wendy's Generic Toe Up Sock Pattern: http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm

I got the toe finished and halfway up the foot before I realized I was making them to big for me. Then I lost interest and started mittens. And those needles are so small - I just can't bring myself to rip it out and start again.

I like the idea of a large fair isle project, I've been looking at the bohus style stuff myself, but the kits from norway (sweeden? not really sure) are really pricey and I'm not known for actually finishing things...

SL said...

I love the bohus stuff too, but feel the same way about the price. Perhaps when the exchange rate goes back the other way, heh heh.

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to combine the large fair isle project with the steeks project (hence the numbering there) of if I want to chicken out and do a steeked sweater with only a couple of colors AND a yoked project with lots of colors.

MRS MJW said...

your cardigan is pretty. i have been looking/hunting/stalking something to knit with my silky wool. thanks for your pattern in knitty.

Anonymous said...

Good list! I was so scared of gloves at first, but as I slowly progressed from wrist warmers to fingerless gloves to the full shebang, I discovered that they were much easier than I had guessed.
On the other hand, still terrified of steeking.

Bobbie Wallace said...

First, big congrats on Honeycomb; I'd already added that one to my wish list before I checked out your blog.

Two comments:

One to refine goal 1; try Judy's Magic Cast On, it's sheer genius!

And an additional goal: Join the Yahoo group for PDX Knit Bloggers! We'd love to have you as a part of our little group (which includes a lot of designers, LYS owners, indie dyers, etc.).